Laura Henderson
Laura Henderson,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Robb Veterinary Clinic
63061945

My cat has a history of UTI's, he keeps going to the toilet

Customer Question

hello!
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My cat has a history of UTI's
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?
Customer: he keeps going to the toilet but isn't peeing. He's done so 4 times in the last hour. He does still have an appetite though and has just ate
JA: The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Shams
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shams?
Customer: Nope. Just that he has a history of UTI
Expert:  Laura Henderson replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I'm Laura, one of the UK vets.

If you see a message about a phone call, please ignore it, it is an automated message.

Poor Shams. How old is he now?

Has he ever blocked and needed to go to the vet to unblock him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Laura

How old is Shams now?

Has he ever needed unblocked by your vet before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shams is 4 yrs old, he has been to the vets previously due to blood in urine and strain in urine last week. He was given buprecare to relieve inflammation and was given urinary care diet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they didnt unblock him last week when we went to the vets because his bladder wasnt full
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i check if his bladder is full?

You should be able to feel it at the very back of his abdomen. If he is standing facing away from you, you can put her hands either side of his tummy ans push in, then gently pull back and see if you can feel something round and firm at the back. If it's the size of a mandarin orange it's ok. If it's painful and the size of a large apple he may be blocked.

If he's not painful and blocked I would give him anti inflammatory for a few days to settle things down again.

There is likely something stressing him, this is the most common cause of these cystitis cases in cats. It will tend to recur until we find what the stressor is and fix it.