Laura Henderson
Laura Henderson,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Robb Veterinary Clinic
63061945

I have found a duck on the side of the road, unable to walk.

Customer Question

I have found a duck on the side of the road, unable to walk. It’s mate is beside it being protective. They have come from the pond in the local park. I rang the vet who asked if I could bring the duck to them 5 mins in the car). However I am wary about approaching the duck and separating it from its mate.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the duck?
Customer: It is just sitting there. I am on Honey End Lane, Reading RG30. The local park is Prospect Park.
Expert:  Laura Henderson replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I am Laura, on of the UK vets.

If it is injured it will need to be brought in for treatment. If it is releasable, it will be released where you found it so should be able to meet up with its mate.

Do you have a blanket of a coat you could throw over the injured duck? That's the easiest way to grab them. You can then keep it wrapped until you get to the vet, or transfer it to a box.

It's mate might be protective but the most it can do is nip at your fingers or face, if you stand your ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay my husband has come, and we are going to try to pick up the duck and take it to the vet.

Brilliant, thank you for taking care of our wildlife.

Laura

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The duck has just flown away! Thanks for your help.

Haha, the best kind of rescue! Laura