Laura Henderson
Laura Henderson,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Robb Veterinary Clinic
63061945

I work in a supported housing project, we have just housed a

Customer Question

I work in a supported housing project, we have just housed a young person who had rescued a blackbird 2 weeks ago, unable to fly and is caring for it. He is getting sick and we have other residents in the property.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the blackbird?
Customer: Qs is what is the best way the residents can help the bird and can the bird make him sick and is it safe to be in the house
JA: Where does the blackbird seem to hurt?
Customer: The bird has a damaged leg but appears to not be in pain, is being well looked after by the resident
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the blackbird's name?
Customer: He just calls it bird (resident has autism)
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the blackbird?
Customer: No
Expert:  Laura Henderson replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I am Laura, one of the UK vets.

This is a tough one. Legally you are not supposed to take anything wild animal in unless you are a vet treating it, or a licensed wildlife rehabber.

A lot of birds carry salmonella so this is a risk for human residents in the building.

I would think if the bird has a damaged leg it will be sore. It will need painkillers and also likely antibiotics. The best thing for it would be to bring to your local vet practice who can assess and treat him. I know this might be difficult to explain to your resident but it gives Bird the best chance at getting better and being able to be free again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Let me know if you have further questions, this thread should remain open for a few days.