Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

I think my puppy may have kennel cough he’s a rescue that we

Hi, I think my puppy may have kennel cough he’s a rescue that we got a few days ago and he’s been making a strange coughing/heaving noise every now and then
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Ralph
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ralph?
Customer: Not that I can think of. He’s around 8 months old and is a rescue from a kennel in northern Italy

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet.

Please ignore any requests for a phone call as the website sends this automatically.

I have some questions to help me advise you about Ralph.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Edele,
Thank you for getting back to me!
What questions did you have?

Is Ralph dull/lethargic or bright/happy?

Is he eating/drinking/peeing/pooping normally?

Has he vomited?

If you gently pinch his windpipe does it make him cough?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We’ve only had him since Wednesday so he’s still coming out of his shell. He’s quite timid, but when we take him out he’s just like a normal puppy, he’s very happy and energetic.He’s eating well, and is going to the toilet just as expected. He had a few loose stools yesterday, and early yesterday morning he was sick 3 times. All 3 times you could see bits of his food. Today he has been fine in that respect. His stool was a bit soft this morning but not as bad as it was yesterday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven’t tried touching his windpipe/throat. He doesn’t make the noise all the time, but he will randomly make this kind of rumbling noise from his throat/chest and will then cough. It’s like he’s trying to clear his throat, but it’s at random times during the day. There’s no noise at all from him when he’s asleep

The change in diet/new environment etc could cause the little tummy upset.

If you could try the gentle pinch as it can help diagnose whether the problem is an upper or lower airway problem.

It doesn't wake him up at all during the night?

When it happens, is there anything in particular he's doing? (after eating/drinking, playing etc)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried and he didn’t make the noise/cough at all. He didn’t seem bothered by me doing it either.
No he doesn’t wake up with it, he tends to do it during the day. I’m unsure as to whether it’s a nervous thing that he does when he’s feeling anxious, or whether it’s an actual infection/problem he’s got.The kennel we adopted him off of did mention that this is apparently common with dogs, but as this is my first rescue dog I don’t feel comfortable with the noises he makes.He seems to do it at random times. He had lunch about an hour ago and made the noise for about 2/3 mins after, but he doesn’t do it after every meal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The best noise I can describes it as is like a smokers rumble that someone humans have, then he had a bit cough and he seems fine after that

Thank you, ***** ***** that he didn't react to the pinch indicates it's unlikely to be kennel cough as the bugs that cause it to irritate the throat quite a lot and pinching can set off a cough.

As he has recently had a long enough trip it is possible that he has some mucus buildup in his lower airways. If possible, could you try record a video of it next time he does it and post it here to me so I can further advise you as there are a few things this could be but depend on the actual noise and motions he's making.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay that’s quite reassuring to know.
Yes of course I can, once he does it, I’ll send it over and see what you think.
Thank you for your help!

Perfect thank you. I should be able to respond fairly quickly until about 9pm tonight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Edele, sorry I didn’t reply yesterday. Ralph didn’t make the noise at all last night from when I spoke to you - Sod’s law really!I do have Another query though, when he sleeps he seems to be almost panting. He breathes completely fine when awake and resting, but as soon as he goes to sleep his breathing speeds up. Is that normal? I have a video if you want to see how fast?
Does it happen as soon as he goes to sleep or is it intermittent? Yes, please send the video 😊
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It’s intermittent. But he only ever does it when he’s sleeping. My partner noticed it the other day and I’ve been monitoring it ever since, when he’s awake his breathing is completely fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (3Z42PZ4)

Thank you, ***** ***** make noise or move when he's doing this at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No noise, but he sometimes twitches like he’s dreaming. His eyes and nose twitch. I did think it was him being in a deep sleep and dreaming, but wasn’t sure

Yep, it's him dreaming. Not all pets show external signs (similar to humans) but as long as it's only intermittent and he's not showing any signs of distress it's nothing to worry about. Puppies do some very weird things in their sleep. :)

Is he a cavalier?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That’s very reassuring to know! Thank you!
We aren’t entirely sure, he’s a rescue. He looks like a mix between a Jack Russell and something else, he has long legs and quite big paws, but has definitely got a Jack Russell face

You're welcome. He's a perfect mixed chap so! I was just curious about his coloring and slight whispy hair.

If you have any other queries or if he starts doing the coughing etc you can just drop me a message here :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That’s wonderful, thank you so much for all of your help! Have a nice day ��

You too!