Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My tortoise hasn't eaten for 4 days. She seems very

My tortoise hasn't eaten for 4 days. She seems very lethargic and normally active. She tried to eat but it seemed to me she couldn't. I'm worried and don't know what to do
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your tortoise will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your tortoise?
Customer: she has been fine since coming out of hibernation eating well but very fussy now she is just the opposite

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet.

Please ignore any requests for a phone call as the website sends this automatically.

I just have some questions about your tortoise to help me best advise you.

When did she come out of hibernation?

Could she have been attacked by a cat/dog/fox etc recently?

What age is she?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She came out of hibernation beginning of April. No cats dogs or foxes. And I'm not sure how old she is as I have only had her from last July. I think she is about 9

Thank you for the information. There are a number of possible causes for anorexia in tortoises including egg binding, dehydration, or nutritional deficiencies.

Early May onwards is time for females to start laying and producing eggs that have a high calcium demand. It's normal for females to go off food for a short period but as your girl is lethargic it would be an indication that she isn't just developing eggs but may actually be egg bound.

If there have been any stressors or changes in husbandry since she emerged from hibernation, this can also cause anorexia.

If she has any nasal or eye discharge then she may have some respiratory illness which could explain her behavior also.

You can try to entice her with fresh leafy greens and some fruit like strawberries or dandelion flower heads to see if you can encourage her to respond. Bathing her for up to 30minutes per day in some water with electrolytes (Dioralyte sachets from the chemist are suitable) will help ensure she is hydrated.

If she is trying to eat but can't open her mouth then you should take her to your veterinarian for a complete examination as she may be weak or have electrolyte imbalances.

At the same time, double-check her enclosures temperature, humidity, etc to ensure that it's as it should be.

Is she pooping?

What are her poops like?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is pooping and its ways been black and she also discharging fluid with white streaks

Is that a constant discharge or her pee?

What species of tortoise is she?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think its her pee and I don't know what species she is . I re homed her. I love her but need to know I'm looking after her correctly

Ok, the best advice is for you to take her to your veterinarian for a full check-up and to identify what species she is as this will alter how she needs to be taken care of. A good website resource is also the Tortoise Trust (https://www.tortoisetrust.org/).