Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My pupp Inato will stay out side for very time and refuse to

My pupp Inato will stay out side for very long time and refuse to get back un the house. He will also nit pee during his time outside and will pee as soon as he get back in the house. How can I stop this behaviour?

Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
Congratulations on your new puppy!
Both behaviours you describe are relatively normal for a puppy and not of concern.
They like to stay outside as it is an exciting place to explore and they are naturally curious. Consider starting recall training and using treats and a word such as 'inside' to encourage him to come in when you decide it is time. If he struggles initially, do the training on a long lead so you maintain control.
With regards ***** ***** we need to go back to toilet training basics. Start re training from the beginning. Bring him outside after every sleep, every meal, every drink and never leave more than 60 minutes without a trip outside. Try to stay out until he pees and then reward heavily with treats and praise. If you see him sniffing to go inside, quickly bring him out. If he does his business inside, clean it away with an enzymatic cleaner and never punish him or tell him off as this will only create anxiety.
Most dogs prefer to pee inside as they feel more comfortable there but will learn with time and the correct guidance.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks I have not ut puppy pads down this morning to see if that would help. and been going out as soon as hi start to sniff around. He has benn able to hold throgh the night from 9:30pm to 6:30am from day one but during the day sometimes I just can’t get him out of the house in time
He is doing better than most so! I agree, puppy pads can cause confusion and I find we get quicker results without them.
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience: MVB MRCVS