Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My dog is 14 one of her is very swolen, Kyra, No

My dog is 14 one of her boobs is very swolen
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kyra
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kyra?
Customer: No

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet.

Please ignore any requests for a phone call as the website sends this automatically.

Would you be able to send me a picture of the swelling?

When did you first notice this?

Is she bothered by it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I saw it today she is in no pain

Is it hard or soft?

What size is it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is hard it's like a golf ball
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still thir

Ok, there are a number of possible causes for this. As it appears to have come up quite rapidly it may be a reaction to a sting/bite/scratch or mastitis (inflammation/infection of mammary tissue). Both of these would be painful and I would expect her to lick the area or resent you touching it.

Given her age etc, we have to consider the possibility that it may be a mammary tumor.

Is the area reddened or normal colored?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has reddened
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She let's you feel it she is in no pain when you feel it

That makes it more likely to be an infection/inflammation. If it's an infection it will quite rapidly enlarge and can form an abscess that may need to be drained.

There are a couple of things you can do.

An appointment with your vet would be prudent, though this may be difficult with the limited services at the moment.

In the meantime, you can gently bathe the area with saline (half tsp of salt in a mug of cooled, boiled water) and then apply cold compresses to help soothe the swelling.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are OK thank you

If you have any concerns, you can return to this chat even after accepting/rating the answer. If there's no significant improvement over the weekend or if she becomes dull/lethargic/off food etc then she should see your veterinarian.