Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My new kitten has a watery eye that is partially closed,

My new kitten has a watery eye that is partially closed
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Juno
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Juno?
Customer: Not that I know of I just got her today

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet.

Please ignore any requests for a phone call as the site automatically sends these.

Congratulations on your new kitten!!

Is she squeezing her eye closed or is it more crusted over?

Has she any discharge from her nose?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is almost sinking extendedly instead of blinking
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No nasal discharge, she has sneezed twice
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry I meant winking not sinking

Hmm, there's a possibility she may have a touch of cat flu.

For her eye, you can gently bathe it to remove any crustiness with cooled, boiled water on a cotton ball (don't add anything to the water).

Once you've done this, watch her and see if she can open the eye or if she's holding it closed. If she's holding it closed that's an indication she has pain in the eye which would most likely be a corneal ulcer that would need veterinary treatment.

If she's able to open it and it's the crustiness causing

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay I will do that, she is eating and urinating normally, if the watery eyes and sneezing continue shall I take her to the veterinary clinic on monday

Apologies hit send by accident.

If it's the crustiness causing her eye to be closed then she may have cat flu so keep her cozy, encourage her to eat (warm up some food so it's smelly as her sense of smell will be reduced) and lots of fluids.

Yes, going to your vet on Monday would be a good idea to make sure that she doesn't need antibiotics. Cat flu is a virus but secondary bacterial infections are relatively common with young kittens as their immune system isn't always as strong as adults.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thankyou so much, I think she is only around 7/8 weeks old, her mother was a pregnant stray. Will she need any specific immunisations or injections?

Once she's feeling better there are a few things she will need.

1) worming/flea/tick treatment and preventative which you can get from your vet. Panacur is a good worming product for kittens but there are some other products that you can apply to the back of her neck/tablet to cover all parasites. Kittens get worms from their mum or can pick them up from eggs in the environment. Some of these worms can also infect us so it's a good idea to regularly worm her (and the family 1-2 times per year, up to 4 times per year if you have small children who aren't as careful about what goes in their mouth, etc)

2) Vaccinations. She can start her vaccine protocol once she is over 8 weeks old and is healthy. We advise vaccination as these are to protect against diseases that we cannot treat and are usually fatal. These include Feline Leukaemia virus (FeLV), enteritis, and cat flu.