Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

A dog - cabapoo cavapoo! milo 8, he has mild mitrial valve

Customer Question

************ JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about? Customer: a dog - cabapoo cavapoo! JA: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age? Customer: milo 8 JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Milo? Customer: he has mild mitrial valve issues but the heart specialist did not feel this was the cause of the cough after investigations

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
File attached (LQ25G51)
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 month ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 month ago.

How long has he been coughing like this for? Is he currently on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He takes vetmedin. He coughs like that around twice a day. Occasionally a tiny droplet of pure white foam comes out of his mouth (smaller than 5p). He’s been doing it for over 6 months but goes to a groomers fortnightly where other dogs have had kennel cough.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 month ago.

OK. Kennel cough would not persist for 6 months so that is very unlikely. Has he been treated with a lungworm preventative lately?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No he hasn’t
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has no other symptoms and has been completely fine in himself. He was checked by local vets and heart specialist vets before lockdown but they couldn’t find any issues other than a mild heart murmur. Lungs were clear.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 month ago.

OK, so no abnormalities on chest xray? A treatment for Lungworm such as Advocate would be advisible just as a precaution pending further investigation

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No abnormalities found on X-ray. He also had a scan and blood tests. Nothing found.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 month ago.

OK, well testing and or/trial treatment for Lungworm is certainly one thing I would consider. The next step would be a CT scan of the chest, it would give much more detail than a xray and would pick up on much more subtle changes which do not appear on xray. A condition such as pulmonary fibrosis would perhaps be one such condition which would show up on CT but not xray for example.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was a CT scan that he had and nothing was shown. So you don’t think he needs any medication such as antibiotics? Our local vet is only seeing emergencies at the moment. He has the advocate that you squeeze onto the back of neck for fleas etc but I don’t think his one covered lungworm. I can look at buying a lungworm advocate but I think he’s more likely picking up an infection from the other dogs he’s with fortnightly at the groomers as they’ve had a similar cough making me think it’s something contagious.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 month ago.

OK good, if the CT was normal then most serious issues are ruled out. Advocate covers lungworm so if you use this monthly this shouldn't be a problem either which is good news!

Kennel cough symptoms tend to resolve in 5-10 days so it would not be the case for it to persist for so long. Even in cases of Kennel cough antibiotics are rarely needed as it is often viral in nature.

Vaccination against kennel cough should be considered if he is going to kennels regularly though.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Our vets are not sure what is causing the cough either. He never goes to kennels - it’s just a dog grooming parlour. So can you think of any necessary treatment to help him?
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 1 month ago.

At this stage without a diagnosis only symptomatic treatment can be given such as a cough suppressant if the coughing becomes troublesome for him. Codeine is sometimes prescribed for this purpose.

If the cough becomes increasingly productive or he seems unwell in himself then a course of antibiotics could be considered just in case of an infectious cause.

He has had extensive investiagations which have ruled out most serious causes which is reassuring.