Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 12 week old puppy yelps when passing her first motion on

My 12 week old puppy yelps when passing her first motion on the morning. She's OK the rest of the day. She's on dry food
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: No. She had a check up 3 weeks ago and was fine
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
Oh, poor thing.
It is reassuring that the other motions are normal and it may be that the first one has been sitting there a little longer so is slightly more dry/hard.
I would want to double check the bum looks normal (no redness), the stool is okay (no blood or mucus) and that she is otherwise well.
I would also like to double check she is up to date with a good quality wormer.
Diet wise, dry food is great because it is clean, easy to measure and perfect for dental health. However, it may make her poo a little firm so consider adding some water to the final meal of the day, just until she is a little older and bigger. Adding water long term is not a good idea as this leads to dental disease due to the lack of abrasion breaking off plaque when she chews.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I consider changing to wet food? She's a 12 week cockapoo
As I say, I am a big dry food fan, mainly because dry fed dogs tend to have much healthier teeth (and better breath)!
I suspect this issue will be quickly grown out of.
If you start on wet food she will likely refuse dry food going forward as it is not as tasty, so just be aware it can be hard to go back if you change your mind.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I change her to wet food. She's 12 week old cockapoo
As I say, I am a big dry food fan, mainly because dry fed dogs tend to have much healthier teeth (and better breath)! I suspect this issue will be quickly grown out of. If you start on wet food she will likely refuse dry food going forward as it is not as tasty, so just be aware it can be hard to go back if you change your mind.