Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My dog recently was bitten by another dog. I have been

My dog recently was bitten by another dog. I have been cleaning it with antiseptic spray but I have noticed a lump where the bite is.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No bleeding at all, he is fine in himself too.
JA: What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Ralph and he’s 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ralph?
Customer: No

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet.

Poor Ralph!

When was Ralph bitten?

Is he painful on the lump?

Do you have a picture you could upload for me please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He was bitten two days ago. He isn’t suffering from any pain and will let me feel the lump without loving away. Yeah I will upload a photo.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (42ZGM6T)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (47SQSGQ)

That's a nasty gash he got.

Is there any smell?

What does the lump feel like?

How is he in himself?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No smell, the lump feels like fluid is in it. It’s not solid and he is fine in himself. Still eating okay and behaving as normal.

Thank you. Dog bites are nasty and prone to developing infection because the wounds are small on the outside and often heal while there are bacterial cells inside. He's very lucky as well, it looks quite close to some vital structures in his neck.

It may be that a small blood vessel was nicked and has formed a hematoma (collection of blood) or that some fluid has become trapped (seroma).

Monitor him over the weekend, if he shows any signs of illness (pain on touching the area, off food, quiet, etc) then you should take him to your vet. I would advise that you make an appointment with your vet for a check-up on Monday as he may need some antibiotics to help resolve the swelling so that it doesn't become an abscess.

In the meantime, you can gently bathe the area twice per day with saline (half tsp salt in a mug of cooled, boiled water) and then gently pat the area dry. Don't apply any creams as they trap moisture and bacteria on the skin which can make infections worse. Also, avoid using a collar until the area has healed because it can prevent healing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. Do you happen to know of any online vets who may prescribe him medication online? Thanks.

Your own vets may be able to do this following a 'video' call. Most practices are offering telemedicine with video consultations so that the vet can see the wounds on Ralph.

Unfortunately, I can't prescribe medications using this platform.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. You can return to this chat window over the weekend if you have concerns about Ralph (even after accepting/rating the answer) and I will do my best to advise you.