Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 2 year old cat, My cat has been in her bed all day,

Hi I have a 2 year old cat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?
Customer: My cat has been in her bed all day, she has not been eating or drinking all day, her eyes are watery Yesterday we gave her some snacks ,hope she is not food poisoned
JA: Did you see what your cat ate?
Customer: Yesterday, half of her cat wet food. Little broccoli, some smoked salmon, 2 licks of vanilla cream
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?
Customer: No, she was healthy before, just today being weird and anti social
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
I do apologise that your question was not answered more promptly.
How is your cat this morning?
Any symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea or fast breathing?
Does she have access to the outdoors?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No vomiting, she only pee at the moment and she did not eat . Mostly sleep. No fast breathing.
She is an indoor cat
Thank you for this.
Anything inside she may have gotten to that she shouldnt e.g. cleaning products, house plants or human medicine?
Any recent change in diet or new treats?
Any other pets in the home she may have bad a fight with?
Is she able to walk about without a limp?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2 days ago I gave her few bits of smoke salmon as new treats, others are her usual. Recently we order some flowers as decoration, but have been in the flat for a week already and she was fine . No other person at home. She is not limping when walking
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just suprised suddenly she becomes so anti social, and sleep all day :( and not eating
I understand.
What were the flowers? Any lilies?I would STOP giving her any rich foods for now as they will be hard to digest. Small meals of chicken and rice little and often for the next 2-3 days would be sensible. I would hold off on offering anything else while she is unwell.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No lilies
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hope she is not in some serious conditions. All these happened from around 9 am yesterday. Shen just stop running and sleep with little tears :(
They're lovely! I'm no flower specialist though so would encourage you to find the names of the flowers and double check none are toxic, as cats can be highly sensitive to some flowers.
This website is a good resource for checking: https://www.cats.org.uk/help-and-advice/home-and-environment/dangerous-plants
Hopefully none are and she is just feeling a bit under the weather or perhaps has an upset stomach from the treats she had recently.
Do ensure her gums remain pink and moist and go ahead with the bland food. Monitor closely and you should find she perks up as the day goes on.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you doctor, are there any signs I should be aware of ? When she get really ill
Worrying symptoms would include: pale or dry gums, fast breathing, breathing with her mouth open, complete refusal to eat that lasts 24 hours or more, bloated abdomen, lack of urination etc.
We would hope and expect that her appetite, energy and behaviour gradually improve throughout today. If not, it is best to have her checked over.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not seen her eat anything yet since yesterday :(
Offer her some warm chicken, turkey or fish and see if she will take a little from your hand. If not, as it has been so long , I would want her checked over.
She may simply need an anti nausea medicine to help her appetite.