Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

He had swelling under his arm on his leg and on his chest.

Customer Question

He had swelling under his arm on his leg and on his chest. He has been given 3 lots of antibiotics but he is not eating so can give it to him. He is very weak and although drinking water he vomits it back
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: the vet says he has an infection
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the animal eat anything unusual?
Customer: Yes he is a good eater
JA: What is the animal's name and age?
Customer: Black age 9
JA: What is the's name?
Customer: Black
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Black?
Customer: He is very weak and hasn’t eaten for 2 days
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 2 months ago.
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear Black is so unwell.
Swelling like that is not common and I would be keen to find a cause e.g. a foreign body.
I would also want to run a basic blood test if not already done to check for e.g. high white blood cells, low protein etc. that might further help explain things so we can tailor treatment.
As Black isn't eating he is now at risk for low blood sugar and dehydration and the concern is that the infection might have spread and he is now septic.
It sounds likely he will need to be put on a drip and given some injectable antibiotics.
I would bring him to the vet asap to get on top of his treatment.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.

Hi there, how is Black doing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Unfortunately he was put to sleep on Monday. It’s been w very sad time for the family ��
Oh I am so very sorry to hear this.
If there are any questions you still have, please do let me know.
Sending you and your family my deepest sympathies at this difficult time.
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 1 month ago.

Hello there, this is just Dr Linda following up. I know that sadly Black was put to sleep and I hope that the pain is getting a little easier each day, though I know from personal experience it takes a very long time to heal and there is always a little bit of us that remains with our beloved pets. If you don't mind, could I ask that if you do not have any follow up questions, you would mind rating the answer by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so that the question may be closed. Thank you and take care.