Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat urinate more often and only urinate a little these

Hi. My cat urinate more often and only urinate a little these two days. I found that there are a little blood in her urine this morning. The vet are all close on Sunday. Should I send her to the emergency or I should wait for the vet open tomorrow? Thank you.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Lucky
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?
Customer: She is approximately 4 years old. She drink and eat normally. She has been very healthy and this urinary condition happened two days ago

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today.

But first, please allow me ten minutes or so to think things over and then type up your answer.

Sorry to hear Lucky has this problem, hopefully, this is something very minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While I cannot be 100% sure via the internet I would say that from my experience that what you are most likely dealing with is a bladder infection or urinary tract infection { UTI } also called cystitis. If this is the diagnosis then it is usually a very minor disease and easily sorted out, while uncomfortable for your cat n most cases she should be fine to wait until Monday. But of course, other more rare diagnoses are also possible.

2. The signs of a UTI in the cat would be some or all of the following :

A. Increased frequency of urination.

B. Discomfort or problems passing urine.

C. The urine may be blood-tinged or discoloured.

3. Your best course of action, for now, is to encourage your cat to drink as much as possible perhaps by giving her dilute milk, but then arrange an appointment with your local vet to have her checked over as soon as you can arrange it since this disease normally responds well to a suitable course of prescription drugs.

Sadly there is little you can hope to do for a cat with this condition on a home remedy basis.

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Lucky's condition changes in any way or indeed you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advise. It is very helpful. I just want to make sure if she is fine to wait until Monday. I didn't feel any swelling on her stomach. But she looks more anxious than usual these two days and less active.

The chances are that she will be OK to wait until then, but keep a good eye on her ...

Regards,

Dr Scott