Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My female dog seems to be lethargic and isn’t eating, I’m

Customer Question

My female dog seems to be lethargic and isn’t eating, I’m sure she hasn’t swallowed anything as I can’t see any abdominal swelling/bloat. Do you think she may just be going into heat? as she was last in heat in December.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tia she is 2 years and 6 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tia?
Customer: She’s fed a raw diet and is normally very healthy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 1 month ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda
Im sorry to hear she is not herself.
Certianly, she could be due a season and some dogs will feel a little off colour/nauseous due to the hormones.
Any other symptoms e.g. vomiting, diarrhoea, panting, coughing or a vulval discharge?
How long has she been like this?
Will she eat e.g.warm chicken?
Finally, are her gums still pink and wet?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was a small amount of vomit yesterday but, since then she hasn’t vomited. Her stool looked normal and she’s only been like this for a day
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I’ll try giving her some warm chicken to see if that does anything, she is normally very healthy and lean as she’s on a partial raw diet
That's good and I'm glad she seems otherwise well.
Refusal to eat isnt a huge concern as long as it isnt prolonged and accompanied by other symptoms such as vomiting.
As long as she picks up soon and eats (and holds it down) , I would be happy to keep an eye on her.
Do also check around the home and garden for anything she may have gotten to such as lawn feed, a house plant or human medicine.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She still is refusing to eat but there’s no vomit thankfully, She is drinking water though, I think I’ll try giving her a bone broth tomorrow and maybe some electrolytes in her water as she’s still lethargic
Its good she is not vomiting and, for most , reduced appetite wont last more than a day so fingers crossed her appetite picks up after a good sleep.
With the broth, just be sure it does not contain any onion or garlic.
Please do feel free to keep me updated tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her gums were still wet and felt normal
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No worries and all the best to Tia.