Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My dog looks like she have infection on top of her tail,

Hello, my dog looks like she have infection on top of her tail, also I've noticed some cold sore on her mouth
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Fifi, she is 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Fifi?
Customer: She had pow infection last year, for which she was treated with strong antibiotics and steroids... This infection look very similar but is on different part of body

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet.

Please ignore any requests for a phone call, the site sends this automatically.

Would you be able to send me some photos of Fifi's sores please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry...I'm just not sure how can I attach them here

That's ok, are you using a computer or telephone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mobile phone

In the app, there should be a little paperclip icon to the left or right of your text box. This should request access to your camera roll or take you there to select the image.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one of pictures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
next
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
better view

Poor Fifi, that looks painful. It looks like she may have moist dermatitis which is inflammation/infection and could be what she had last year on her paw.

There are a few things you can try to do at home. If possible clip the hair from around the area or even trim with scissors (parallel to the skin to prevent cutting her skin) to expose the area to fresh air and help it dry.

Bathe the area daily in saline (half tsp salt in a mug of boiled water, cooled down) and then gently pat it dry. Don't apply any creams as you want it to dry. If Fifi is licking and bothering the area then you will need to get an E-collar (buster/cone) which you can get from your vets or a pet shop so that she's not further traumatizing the area or introducing more infection.

If it continues to spread or isn't improving over the next 48 hours then Fifi should be seen by your vet as she may need antibiotics at that time.

What weight is Fifi?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
36kg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you, ***** ***** that you can't provide prescription for her?
Unfortunately no. Today you can give Fifi 1 piriton tablet (4mg) every 8 hours (3 times) which will help with the inflammation. She can have the tablet twice tomorrow (12 hours)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where I can get this tables from? I guess they are not prescription drugs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
piriton isn't a drug for allergy?
Piriton is the human antihistamine (the drug is chlorphenamine) that you can get in the chemist
If you have a different antihistamine at home just let me know and I can calculate the dose
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I don't have it, I will get it for her in pharmacy
thank you very much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it anything else I can do for her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about painkillers? I'm giving her 250 paracetamol 2 a day
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this ok?
She can receive 250mg twice per day or paracetamol yes. It works for pain but it doesn’t have strong anti inflammatory action so the antihistamine will help with the itch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much