Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My five month old male budgie seems happy, eating and

My five month old male budgie seems happy, eating and drinking normally, playing with toys, doing acrobatics etc. He is obsessed with his mirror and mates with it all of the time. However over the last month his droppings have a lot of water surrounding them. What could be wrong and how can I solve it?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the budgie's name?
Customer: Billy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Billy?
Customer: don’t think so. He has seed for his diet and eats cuttlefish bone and iodine blocks
Thank you for your patience. You’re through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet. Has Billy’s droppings changed color at all? Are they foamy? Or is it that he’s just producing extra water around his poop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there is just a lot of extra water. Did you manage to look at the photos I uploaded, they are typical of his droppings lately
Thank you, ***** ***** a number of possible causes for this including viral or bacterial infections, liver or kidney disease etc. As he is a youngster and acting normally these are unlikely. Budgies in an all/mostly seed diet can produce too much urine in their poo too. The best thing to do is to slowly wean him off seeds and onto a commercial pelleted diet which is more balanced and less fatty so healthier in the long run for him. It can take a while to get them transitioned to a pelleted diet (up to 12 months) as birds that are used to only eating seeds won’t want to give them up (like kids eating sweets versus veggies). Ideally his diet should be 75-80% pelleted food and the rest made up of seeds and veggie treats.