Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Hiya I'm so worried about my yellow lab, Milo. He went for a

Hiya I'm so worried about my yellow lab, Milo. He went for a walk with my dad and he's come back and he is so restless, his tail is bent and his back has a bit of a dip in it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the lab?
Customer: Same message
JA: Where does the lab seem to hurt?
Customer: His back and his tail and his leg
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the lab?
Customer: He has been on medication before for a leg issue when he was younger but I read the manual and it's really dangerous for them to take it for a long time

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.

What do you mean by the tail is bent? Would you be able to send a photo?

Similarly, can you describe the 'dip' in the back further and perhaps send a photo?

Was he allowed off lead unsupervised?

Was there any known trauma or dog fights?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah it wont let me send any pictures or videos. Is there something else I can send them on, maybe email?
You can send via email but the moderators have to approve and so it can take a day or two.
Otherwise, this link has instructions:
https://www.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Really weird, the photo part is on my phone but not my laptop
I will try using another phone
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (SLMVVGQ)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He is such a lovely dog. Softest boy in the world. He doesn’t fight any dogs , he goes off the lead but is always watched. But he runs so much
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has also lost 4 K since the last time he went to the vet. He is now 28kilos
Thank you for this.
He is utterly gorgeous!
Was the weight loss unexpected? He does not seem under weight in the videos.
What age is he?
A sudden issue such as this can have a number of causes including swimmers tail (limber tail), a pulled muscle, an anal gland infection, a pelvic injury etcWould he allow you to check his back end for signs of a burst anal gland infection and along his tail for any swelling or bruising?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He wont let me touch him. Hes not violent but if I run my fingers near his back or legs, he nibbles my fingers and puts his head on his leg. I dont feed him so Im not sure, I havent seen any issues with him eating - he loves wet food. He has always had issues wit his stomach, I put him on food for his stomach previously but he got put back on normal food again. He gets diarrea a lot (I guess one thing at a time). I will show you what he does when I touch him... He has had swimmers tail before but hes never been this bad, he wont sit still. He looks so so sad, its just horrible to see. His tail is swollen at the top and he keeps biting it and his leg. He is nearly 2 years I think. Before this he had some small issues with when he went walking, we stopped taking him on long walks because he would always limp and get loads of pains. My dad said the last time he went to take him to the vets they said they wanted to look at getting a xray done (but this was over a year ago, he hasnt had anything like this before).How would I check for signs of a burst anal gland??
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He keeps trying to hide in small dark places, I don’t know if that’s weird
Ok, thank you for this.
Previous history of swimmers tail makes it a lot more likely so this may well be what we are dealing with.
Given his previous issues, I certainly believe an xray would be the next step so we can get some definitive answers. Things like hip dysplasia and spondylosis need to he looked into given his breed and previous limping.
It sounds as though he is quite uncomfortable so I do think he would benefit from some pain relief and anti inflammatory medicine which your dedicated vet should be able to provide tomorrow. Of course, if he seems very distressed and wont settle, you can always request an out of hours appointment.
Diarrhoea can have many causes but ensuring he is up to date with his parasite prevention and having him on a strict sensitivity diet is a good place to start.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (S11Z6VM)
I suspect his nibbling and hiding away is because he is in pain and is stressed.If there is an abscess which has burst you will see liquid/swelling/redness around the anal area on top of where the glands are located.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
File attached (P7L1Z2P)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My partner got him to walk to him so you can kind of see his back legs but he ran so quickly
Thank you for such clear videos. Definitely, he is not happy with something and is trying to communicate with us that he wants space and is worried about his uncomfortable about being touched.
The issue is that all I can assess from his walking is that he is not bearing weight normally but i cannot say why without assessing him. I can see that he 'bunny hopped' right at the end, which can indicate hip pain and is common in those with hip dysplasia.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just checked, his anal area is okay. It was really hard to move his tail though and he did bite me a little harder when I touched it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yeah hes doing that bunny hop everywhere . He wont sit in one place so keeps bouncing around, I'm worried if hes walking so much, hes going to hurt himself more
Bless him, I think it is safest to not touch the area anymore, but it is good to know there is no sign of any abscess/infection.
I understand your concern; if you left him, do you think he might settle and sleep? If he is really distressed, it may be that we have to have him assessed tonight and get him on some medicine so he (and you!) have any chance of getting some sleep.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We put a blanket up in his bed under the stairs so its a bit darker and hes gone into it but he wont sit for longer than a few minutes before he gets back up. We have a vets but I think they are closed at the moment and I'm not sure how to get him looked at tonight as we are only registered with them
If you send on your postcode I will let you know your nearest open clinic and they will be able to see you of your registered vet is not open.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Haha aww dont worry about me, i'm working from home so I can stay with him if need be! Ah thank you - It is WD19 5HD
I believe Medivet Watford are your closest emergency clinic.
Tel 01923 243429
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there any other one by any chance? We actually used them for our previous dog and she was mistreated with meds and sadly passed away... Family dont really like using them anymore! Is Blythwood Vets on there in Northwood? It says they are closed but that is his registered vets
Oh gosh I'm sorry to hear thatBlythwood is showing as closed but they do give this as a 24 hour number which is worth trying:(###) ###-####0510
Another option is Vets Now Harrow. Tel:(###) ###-####9626
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No that is okay, they are literally down the road from us! Obviously its not the whole business, but its just one of those things thats all. Ah yes I will give it a go, thank you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You have been fabulous. Whilst you ae here, what should his eating routine be? 1, 2, 3 meals a day and how much food does he need? I find the bags very confusing
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I can put him on a proper routine myself, I will try getting his weight back up over time
Not at all.
Hopefully we get him sorted soon, bless him.
As he is a large dog, at his age I would be feeding twice daily (though once dialt is fine if it suits your routine better).
Food wise, we want to determine his ideal weight and feed for that. Every brand of food has a different feeding chart on the back but it should say e.g. feed 200g a day for a 30kg dog. If we think 30kg is his perfect weight we would feed 100g in the morning and another 100g in the evening. If he gets any treats or chews, we need to minus these however. Labs are notorious for getting over weight so we do need to watch for this and we may need to adjust the feeding amount if it doesnt suit him (it is just a guideline and every dog is different).
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ah I see. Okay perfect, I'll whip out the scales and test how much he should have a day with his current bag!!! You have been really amazing. If I need to come back, will I come to you?
Very happy to help.
This window stays open for several days so you are welcome to keep me updated and to continue to ask questions : )
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ah thank you so much :) I'll update you when ever possible - Have a lovely evening!!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Heya he went to the vet. He has swimmers tail and has damaged his knee. They will get an XRAY on him after COVID19 and go from there but in the mean time he is on some pain killers :) Thank you for all your help!!!
Thanks a mil for this update; I'm so glad they are both manageable things and he should now be a low more comfortable :)