Laura Henderson
Laura Henderson,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Robb Veterinary Clinic
63061945

Is it advisable to buy a blue/fawn french bulldog puppy as I

Is it advisable to buy a blue/fawn french bulldog puppy as I have been told they will have health issues . The mother / father were not blue colour.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the puppy?
Customer: It was what you might call the runt of the litter. very small. However, by 6 weeks it has grown and thrived and althjough still smalller than siblings she seems feisty.
JA: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: She isnt hurt. I am worried that there are on line info web sites saying that this is not an acceptable colour for a frenchie as they will not be healthy.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?
Customer: No, its just my concerns about the warnings I've read on line.

Good morning, I am Laura, one of the UK vets.

I would avoid the dilute colours of bulldog (lilac, blue) as to me they are over-represented in skin disease. I don't see much colour dilution alopecia that they mention in the bulldog clubs, but I do see a lot of allergic skin disease, and in some cases we have been unable to control the inflammation, unlike in other dogs, leading to the affected dogs being put to sleep between the ages of 2 and 5.

The French Bulldog Club of England explains it more here:

http://www.frenchbulldogclubofengland.org.uk/buyer-beware.html

Generally this applies to all bull breeds, not just the French Bulldog.

You need to be careful with Frenchies in general - being a breed with a squashed face many have a liffetime of breathing difficulties (you may know this already). You need to make sure the nostrils are open and there is minimal breathing noise. Look up pictures of 'stenotic nares' and try and get a good a pup as possible. The nostrils are only one part of Bracycephalic Obstructive Airway Disease but they are a good start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the possibility of skin disease be alieviated by good skin care to prevent issues ?
Regarding the BAOD risk, I have checked out the history of this puppy and there does not seem to be any
problems .

In my experience most tend to get the problems regardless of care :(

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks for the advice.

You are welcome, any further questions let me know!

Laura