Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My robo hamster has a large pinkish lump on the rear of her

Hi there, my robo hamster has a large pinkish lump on the rear of her abdomen. She is still eating and drinking a little but doesn't seem to be grooming herself and not moving around any where as quickly as she used to. She doesn't seem to be in distress but looking at the lump this morning, she's caught it and there's a tiny bit of blood. As she's not in distress, I don't want to make it worse and if she's not going to recover I don't want to put her through the trauma of an operation if she will slip away quietly in her own time but might it be something she may recover from and so its worth the risk?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the hamster?
Customer: She's just over a year old and she does look thin but this may be because she's not grooming herself properly. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
File attached (ZGQL14V)

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK vet.

When did you first notice this lump?

Has it grown much since you first saw it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Edele, we only noticed it about 2 weeks ago but to be honest, we don't pick up our hamster to "play" with her. I'd say it's definitely growing and I'd say in that time, its probably doubled

Thank you for the information.

From looking at it and what you've said coupled with her being close to middle-age there is a concern that this may be something sinister. It could also be an abscess from a cut that would be treatable (open and drain and antibiotics) but without having a good feel of it I can't be sure. Both of those would grow quite rapidly and don't always make a hamster seem sick.

As there's that little bit of blood today, it may be that it's something trying to burst out. My advice would be to have a full examination at your vets to find out what the lump is (rule out abscess/treatable mass).

If it is something cancerous, surgery is not something you have to do, palliative care is completely fine (and in many cases preferable).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - we'll take her in to the local vets then - thanks so much

You're welcome. If you have any other concerns/queries afterward you can still return here (even after accepting/rating) and I'll do my best to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - will do