Laura Henderson
Laura Henderson,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Robb Veterinary Clinic
63061945

My greyhound has a limp, we just adopted her and she seems

My greyhound has a limp
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your greyhound?
Customer: we just adopted her and she seems to have had some sort of injury on the same leg

Good morning, I am Laura, one of the UK vets.

How old is she and which leg is sore?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is 3 and its her back right

Is she a retired racer? They often have old injuries to their leg - usually front left and back right - from the direction the run on the track.

Did they tell you she was lame or give you any medicine for her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is and ex racer, no medical history and was not told she is lame

Poor girl, what's her name?

It may be an old injury, it may be she's injured it since you got her (they are quite gangly and some are disaster-prone!) or it may be a corn.

If it's an old injury, it may come and go.

If it's a new one it should gradually improve over a few days.

If it's a corn it won't get better by itself and you might be able to feel the corn as a small firm dot in the center of one of the toe pads of that foot.

I would take it easy with her for a few days. You could give her half a paracetamol tablet twice daily for a few days and see how she does. If it isn't improving, or is getting worse, I'd bring her to your vet to get checked out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a corn? Will check her pads for that, if not that i will leave for a few days before going to the vet

Corns in greyhounds are like a really firm bit of skin on the pad, similar to people. The must feel like a sharp stone in the foot to the dog, because they appear to be quite painful. Greyhounds tend to get them in the same toe over and over.

To treat them we either shell them out, or pare the skin back until the corn is removed. I've attached a picture of an obvious one sometimes you can't see them on the surface, but if you squeeze the toe pad from the sides it will be sore.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much

You are very welcome!

Laura