Laura Henderson
Laura Henderson,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Robb Veterinary Clinic
63061945

I have french dog she is 4 weeks old and she has running poo

Hi I have french bull dog she is 4 weeks old and she has running poo she keeps getting sick out of her nose and mouth it’s milk that’s coming out of her mouth and nose she’s not her self can you give me some advice please what to do with her ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the bull. What is the bull's name?
Customer: Bacardi
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bacardi?
Customer: No that’s it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi can you help
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have paid 5 pound is that right ?

Good morning, I am Laura, one of the UK vets.

Poor Bacardi! Has she always had this problem or has it just developed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No she not all ways had this problem she has the last 3 days I had her on puppie milk than I changed her to goats Milk I changed her milk cause I seen her poo was runnier and her belly was rock hard so now she back on puppie milk I don’t no what to do bless her I don’t no if I’m feeding her to much I don’t no

Also please ignore any message asking about phone calls, it is an automated message I can't stop.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you help me please

Thanks for that information. The two major things I'd be worried about would be a congenital structural problem somewhere, or that she has maybe aspirated some milk into her lungs.

Has she got a cleft palate?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I went to pets at home they recommend worm it she is only 4 weeks old

Did she take the wormer ok?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is my lovely puppie we love her so so much please could you help me give me some answers what u think it is ? This when she was playful only 3 days ago

I will do my best to help you.

Did she take the wormer ok when you gave it to her?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks very much and we never gave her wormer yet cause she’s sleeping

Ok, that's good, it means it's not the wormer that is causing the problem.

Do you have her mum?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her mum passed away. ��
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do you think we should give her the wormer ?

Ok, that explains why you have her so early. Poor mum! When was this?

Was she taking the dog milk replacer initially or did you have to force feed her to get her going?

I would hold off with the wormer right now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have her the last 11 days and I’m not shore when Bacardi mum passed was friend dog and I had her on puppie Milk called lactol milk for about 5 days she did it really like it we kinda had to force her so we thought we changed her to goats milk than we seen the change her poo was like water so runnier but she loved the milk and Milk was coming out her nose and mouth so changed back to puppie milk but she is still the same really don’t no what’s up with her I don’t no if I’m feeding her to much or I’m I feeding her not enough ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
her belly is hard

Ok it sounds like you have been doing well with her.

I would switch her back onto the Lactol as it is designed for her. The diarrhoea may be down to the switch in milks.

Lets deal with the milk coming out her nose, then I will work out how much she is to get fed.

Is she still bright and playful? You mentioned she was a wee bit subdued. How is her breathing compared to normal?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her breathing seems fine and at times she’s still playful but only for a short period of time compared to usual. She’s sleeping a lot more then usual. And she is a very clean puppy never goes to the toilet on her bed but today she’s sleeping on her toilet pad witch she never normally do, it’s as if she is worried she needs to go toilet.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the last 2 days in her sleep she’s very jumpy and fidgety and is Moaning in her sleep not like her I think it’s her belly or she having dreams I don’t no

Wee soul.

I think if she is a bit down it would be best to see your vet. It sounds like she got a bit excited at the new milk and a bit of it went down the wrong way in her haste. Young pups are at risk of chest infections due to this, and with the diarrhoea also ongoing she may be feeling a bit sorry for herself. Your regular vet will be able to listen to her chest and check her tummy to see why it's so hard.

Meanwhile we can work out how much Lactol she is to get. Do you know what weight she is? Pups should be growing every day and monitoring her weight daily is one way to know you are feeding her enough.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She weighs 0:8 kg and she eats about 2 - 3 ounces about every 2-3 hours but as of the last couple of days she’s not been eating. Oh I also have given her a table spoon of puppy food yesterday and today. Guy at pets at home told me it might harden up her poo to stop the diarrhoea
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nose of her chest is bit different now that you said about chest infection sounds about right cause chest sounds heavy on after bottle tho ?

It sounds like you are getting the milk dose right. I'd have her on 250ml Lactol split over 6 feeds during the day, including one first thing in the morning and one last thing at night. So that would be about 40-50ml per feed, 6x daily.

I think your regular vet should give her a once over, she might needs antibiotics if she has managed to inhale some of her milk.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We love her very much

She is very cute!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks very much so what do you think about her ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks

You are welcome. If you have any further questions just let me know.

Thanks!

Laura

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, I took her to the vet and they said all is well they gave her an injection and sent us on our way but now she is struggling to breath and the vets are now closed

Oh no, poor Bacardi!

Can you remember what they gave her?

I can try and find the out-of-hours vet for you - if she is struggling to breathe she may need to go on oxygen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I don’t have a clue and yes please I’m based in effingham surrey

I will go check - can you remember the name of your vet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pet doctor Fetcham

I'm just checking which out of hours practice is closest to you, please bear with me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
File attached (35T3SM6)

She looks a bit flat. I'd give these vets a call, they are the Out Of Hours provider for your vet practice and are open 24/7:

MiNightVet Woking

Pet Doctors

125-129 Chertsey Road

Woking

GU21 5BP

Their contact number is ***** 769 881.

https://minightvet.com/our-practices/woking/

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Do she look bad to you?

She doesn't look terrible, but being so young they can go downhill quickly, and her breathing is quite laboured.