Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Our 7 year old female german shepherd rescue has a very

Hi, our 7 year old female german shepherd rescue has a very shiny coat and rarely moults, however, she is prone to having itchy skin and fatty skin lumps which can get infected if she bites them, usually they subside over time but now for a few weeks she has a large lump 20mm which has opened up and the skin has broken, we have put dog disinfectant powder on it but it is not healing, should we just wait longer or what.?she has been on steroids for 2 years (Prednisolone 5mg)
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the Shepherd can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Shepherd's name?
Customer: Jazz
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jazz?
Customer: had her 4 years from a shelter, he is a very nervous dog and we go to the rspca vet for her injections, they put her on steroids for her skin condition

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear this. Could you send me a picture of the area of concern?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
think I've attached photos, the black scab area is still weeping, the area is lumpy but you cant see it, she has probably scratched it to open it like that. the other photo is one of her others, just a lump and she has about 6-10 at any one time and increasing gradually with age, they last a few months then fade away.

These look like potentially cystic masses (keratinising lesions), which would explain the cyclic nature of the problem. Some dogs are prime to them. Unfortunately they sometimes rupture, bleed and get infected. Cleaning gently twice daily with a dilute chorhexidine solution (hibi scrub for example - available from pharmacies) would be advisible. If they still don't settle then sometimes antibiotics are required. Surgical removal if the only way to resolve them but is often not practical when there are multiple lesions.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.