Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a cat and 2 days ago I came home to find he had

Hi there, I have a cat and 2 days ago I came home to find he had rummaged through my bin and seen that he ate a bit of onion. This morning I’ve woke up and seen he’s been sick + brought onion back up. His stool was a bit watery last night also. Just looking for a bit of advice as I’m not sure if that face he’s brought onion back up is a good thing? Thanks.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Tigger
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tigger?
Customer: No
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda.
While onion itself can be toxic we rarely see onion toxicity as cats need to eat quite a bit of it or to eat it over long periods of time for it to cause an issue.
There would be concern for obstruction if he is lethargic, not eating, continuing to vomit or constipated. This may have occurred because he also ingested e.g. something indigestible or a bone.
If his gums are pink and wet, he is acting and eating normal, I would just monitor for now and wouldnt expect ant further issues.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Great that’s a relief to hear! I will keep an eye on him. Thanks so much for responding!!
Absolutely. Please do feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.