Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My sons 'foster' leopard gecko is losing weight and he

Hi. My sons 'foster' leopard gecko is losing weight and he believes he might have stick tail - he came to us as he was not thriving and did improve but seems to be deteriorating again in the last couple if weeks
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the leopard gecko's name and age?
Customer: He is called Casper( as in the friendly ghost) as he is a very pale morph. We are not sure of his age but young, less than 6month
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Casper?
Customer: Sorry should have said between 6 and 12 months . There is a large dark spot on his underside between his front legs that may or may not be his liver?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi. I wonder if you have a time frame for when I may receive an answer please. I have been waiting for an answer for about 4 hrs is that within the correct time frame?

Thank you for your patience, there isn't always an exotics vet available.

You're through to Dr. Edele, a vet in the UK.

I have some questions to help me best advise you about Casper.

Has Casper been eating and drinking?

Is he pooping?

What are the temperatures/humidity etc in his vivarium?

Do you have any photos of the spot you're concerned about?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Edele
thanks for responding. Casper is drinking yes, he has been sporadic in eating and will only do so if hand fed and coaxed with calci worms but he has been "spitting" them out
we think he is pooping but not much
the tempo in the viv is 30 degrees Celsius on hot side and around 24-26 in the cold side . not sure on humidity
Kirsten

Thank you, ***** ***** had any vomiting?

Is his poop normal or diarrhoea?

Is he gulping/swallowing a lot when not moving?

The spot you're referring to, is it bulging and firm?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
my son is trying to get a photo and will try to send to you

Perfect, thank you

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Edele I am sorry for the delay, hope these are clear

Thank you for the pictures. The dark area does look like it's probably his liver. With stick-tail we usually see vomiting or diarrhoea but the spitting out his calciworms and refusing to eat could be related to him feeling nauseated. I'm definitely suspicious from what you've told me and the photos.

Sticktail is a Cryptosporidium infection (luckily the species that infect geckos don't tend to affect us humans). Unfortunately we can't ever really 'cure' the gecko of the disease, but the aim is to reduce the burden of the parasite to low enough levels that your gecko can cope with it. It's also highly contagious to other reptiles and without treatment is fatal.

He will need to be seen by your vet for an examination, faecal swab and stomach wash (collect some fluid from the stomach); your vet may also take an xray and do a blood test to give him a full check over and rule out other causes. Once you have the diagnosis, he can begin treatment which can reduce the parasite numbers and eliminate other parasites that may be playing a role.

Dehydration is a concern so you can start with daily baths (cage temp water up to his chin) for up to 20 minutes (work up to this over about a week if he's calm about it).

Ideally he needs to see a vet early this week to get started. Many vets are still restricted but still seeing patients with covid-19 measures in place. Unfortunately, I can't prescribe any medications as I haven't examined him on this platform under UK law.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks Edele. you confirmed what we thought about Casper. Eze ( my son) has already started the baths as he researched the various things to do to help, so that good that its the right thing. I have emailed the local vets who have a reptile expert and asked for an appointment this week . thanks for you help and advice

You're very welcome, it sound's very much like your son knows what he's doing so Casper is in good hands. I hope he's on the mend soon, have a lovely day.

Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience: BSc, MVB