Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have a Ferret and she is on her period, she isn’t castrate

I have a Ferret and she is on her period, she isn’t castrate and she doesn’t have chip yet, she is 1 years old.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the ferret?
Customer: I think she has anemia, she is very weak, she doesn’t play and just lies down, she’s walking almost crooked, and she has no strength in her legs, could I take her to check it now? She is on her period she have blood on her pii and 2 days ago she is really different and now she is closing her eyes all the time
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the ferret?
Customer: like weakness

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear this. Yes I would advise getting her checked out, female ferrets need to either be mated or have an injection to bring them out of season otherwise they can develop anaemia.

How long has she been in season?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
3 days already. She is on her period already a month. But she is really bad 3 days. Yesterday night we have been in a emergency vet, and they said she is anaemic, so I’m wait for Monday de doctor come to put her implant, and check.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I don’t know what I do at the moment

OK. There is not much we can at at the moment as the oestrogen being produced whilst she is in season is suppressing her bone marrow. An injection of delvosterone may be the best option here to bring her out of season. Placement of a delvosternone implant will require a general anaesthetic and could be risky if she is anaemic. So perhaps ask your vet about that tomorrow.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thank you

You're welcome