Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My dogs shaking and scratching her ear that has dark brown

My dogs shaking and scratching her ear that has dark brown wax in
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she’s 10
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gypsy?
Customer: only that she had an infection the end of last year but antibiotics cleared it up and recently she’s had itchy patches of skin with a little hair loss but that’s clearing up now
This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 20 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case. Have there been any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications currently on?The system will automatically offer an option for a phone call. It is just sent out automatically. However, if you wish to keep typing. We can message all here.I am here to provide as much relevant information and guidance that I can, but I am unable to legally prescribe medications or make a final diagnosis. Any recommendations I make will be limited by lack of a physical examination. In many cases I may end up recommending your pet to be seen by a veterinarian for further assistance or you may still wish to have a physical examination with a veterinarian at a clinic.If you can send pictures to review it will be most helpful.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi there yes she’s not really wanted her regular two meals a day at the moment but she does do this maybe twice a year where she goes off her food but will eat it out my hand
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (35Z3L52)
What are you feeding now ?
Is there much debris in the ear canals or smell to the ear canals ?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She has dry food and half a wet pouch a day
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
there’s a lot of brown wax and it does have quite a strong odour
Can you send some other pictures of other affected skin areas ? When the appetite starts to decrease then more appetizing food like canned, hamburger, chicken, turkey or fish Can all stimulate intake
This can help with the ears: The ear canal is in the shape of an "L", this allows for the ear canal to become very moist and warm, then the opportunistic yeast and bacteria that normally live in the ear canal can start to grow to higher levels. The key is to need to flush the ears twice a day to start with. An ear flush with chlorhexidine can also assist with potential yeast and bacteria. This will remove the debris and the chlorhexidine will also kill the yeast and the bacteria in the ear canal. Then once the ears get healthier can decrease on an as needed benefit. You may need to do from time to time to keep the ears healthy. The miconazole will also help with the yeast too. One product name you can look for is Micochlor. This product can be purchased over the counter at pet stores or online like on Amazon. Here are some examples:
1. TrizChlor by Dechra
2. Mal-a-ket by DechraMost flushes just get there material out and do not kill the yeast and bacteria. This also kills yeast and bacteria too.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I can try she’s just very stressed but I will send some pictures and will definitely look at those products
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
File attached (4V1137Q)
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She has been on and off like this for quite some time and it comes and goes but with it re occurring I thought it could be an infection
For the skin: This area of the body is moist and this can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize the skin to get to higher levels, then this will set up these small areas of infection/inflammation. There is a shampoo called DuoxoPyo Shampoo, that contains Chlorhexidine. You can let this sit on the area for 10 minutes, this will clean the skin and start to kill the yeast and bacteria. Phytosphingosine will also help with some anti-inflammatory properties too and allow the skin to feel les itchy and irritated. It is best to leave the shampoo on for 10 minutes before rinsing it off. The pads can be used to wipe areas and the spray works well to cover larger areas too.
These other items below have the same ingredients and can be used to keep the area clean. They may also be helpful to apply to the region.
These items can be found online like at Amazon it may be found at pet stores too.Dúoxo Pyo pads
Duoxo pyo shampoo
Duoxo pyo spray
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thankyou
You are more than welcome. Please keep
Me updated and have a good day. Dr Mike