Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Dog has diarrhea. He’s been up since 5am and at first soft

Dog has diarrhea. He’s been up since 5am and at first soft poop and then watery and almost nothing.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: toby almost 7yrs old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Toby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?
Customer: he vomited twice too
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He threw up again now

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good morning and welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to help.

I am so sorry that sweet Toby is not feel8mg well. This vomiting and diarrhea are being caused by a digestive disturbance of unknown cause. For now, follow these instructions:

Fast Toby for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and

Give him Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the human pharmacy.

Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes

After the fast, feed Toby rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting and diarrhea have resolved, then wean Toby back onto his regular food. If the symptoms persist especially during the fast, take Toby to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction or infection or a metabolic issue such as kidney disease. .

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am always happy to help.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you very much. Hopefully he’ll be ok

You are very welcome....please let me know how Toby is doing and if I can answer any other questions. I really hope he will be ok!!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Is it normal that he’s shaking a little bit ?

Yes, this digestive disturbance is stressful on your sweet Toby so the shaking is normal until he is feeling better. Keep a close eye on him until he can get past this. Let me know if there are problems and I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Saw this and a bit of blood. Should i be worried? Sorry if i have so many questions
No worries.. I am happy to help. Yes, this is normal. In the diarrhea, there will be some blood and mucous that comes due to the irritation of the rectal
Mucosa. This will resolve once the diarrhea resolves. I am always happy to help.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
He’s stil have blood in his poop.
He was on metacam for a week. Can this be the reason?

If there is diarrhea, this could be caused by the Metacam and this would cause the blood...we need to stop the diarrhea if that is what this is....Immodium AD 2 mg , 1/2 caplet per 15 pounds of your guys weight every 8 hrs. If there is no diarrhea, then the hard stool is causing this and probably secondary to the Metacam.....this should resolve once the Metacam is complete.