Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

I have a 7 month old Rankin Dragon - she has been eating

Hi I have a 7 month old Rankin Dragon - she has been eating around 5-6 crickets a day, but for the last 7 days she has not wanted food and is lethargic and sleeping a lot - she has a fully kitted home - with all the correct lighting - is this normal thank you x
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dragon. What is the dragon's name?
Customer: I also give her vegitation, and clean water 3 x a day.. x
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dragon?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hi is anyone there please x

Thank you for your patience, there isn't always an exotic vet available.

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK based vet. I'm reviewing your query and I will respond presently.

I have some questions to help me best advise you about your dragon.

What are the temperatures and humidity etc in her vivarium?

How long have you had her?

When did she last shed?

When did she last poop? What was it like?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
she hasnt pooped for about 3 days, we had her 6 weeks - she hasnt shed yet, her lights go on at 8am - and i leave them on for 10-12 hours, the temp rises to around 93 - 99 degrees, and then when I switch off at 8pm it goes to around 76 - 80 degrees - I spray her home a little through the day to create some hnydraion x

Was her poop normal?

Is she receiving any supplementation?

How often is she bathed?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
her water is at the other end of her house, i have never seen her drink - how do we bath her, do we litterally placve her in the dish x
she has correct vitamins daily but hasnt had any food for nearly a week
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
poo is normal

Thank you, ***** ***** she receiving the vitamins? Is she receiving calcium dust as well?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
we are putting the dust on her food - but she hasnt eaten and no poo for 2 days ~I am just worried thats all - she has a lovely home we spent £700 on her belongings -and I am constantly going to the reptile expert in the place we bought her from to learn mopre

Perfect, her set up sounds really good. As she hasn't shed since you've had her and shes under 12 months old I would be suspicious that she is entering her shed. This can make them a little lethargic, restless (rubbing on branches etc) and some may go off food for a few days. We want to make sure that she is kept hydrated right now so you can bath her in warm water in the sink/bathtub with just enough water for her to walk around in and have a drink if she wants. You can add some dioralyte (human electrolytes from chemist) to her water to help replenish those electrolytes too. She can be bathed daily for up to 30 minutes once she isn't stressing (start with short baths and low water levels at first) which will help to maintain her hydration.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you so much - could i ask how long should i wait until the food thing is an issue - and shopuld i keep trying her with food x
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
i would say she is not particularly itching on things but more stationary x

There are a few other things that it could be, if she hasn't eaten and becomes more lethargic or starts to show any other signs (swellings, diarrhoea, little blood spots around her gums/face etc) then you should take her to your vet at that time. I would not offer her any food for a few days and avoid handling or doing anything in her enclosure except for bathing and misting to minimize stressors from those. She can then be offered small amounts of something she really likes to eat at first to encourage her to feed. If after 5-7 days there has been no improvement or if she deteriorates at all then she should be taken to your vet. You should consider a hygrometer for her viv if you don't have one to monitor her humidity levels.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
thank you so much your advice has eased my mind and also giving me good tips on how to look after her - her name is ***** ***** we love her x

Aw, that's very cute name for her! No problem at all. I aim to respond to any direct queries within an hour so if you have any concerns over the next few days I should be able to respond to you. Have a lovely Sunday afternoon.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello, my Rankin dragon still hasn't eaten and I'm worried should I take her to a vet x
Hi, have there been any signs she’s entering a shed since Sunday?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She's darker in colour but that's it really x
Ok, it would be best to take her to your vet to have a check up, just to make sure there’s nothing going on with her.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank u so much do u suggest reptile vet x
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I've been keeping a diary of all her care over last 8 days too , x
Perfect, that’s good to have for your vet. It can be hard to find a reptile specialist in the UK but if you’re near one that would be ideal. Otherwise a vet that is happy to check Snatch over at this point will be fine to confirm there are no signs of problems.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank u so so much we lover her to bits and I'm in there talking to her constantly trying to keep her company x
You’re welcome.