Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat Bella has had her first pregnancy; she as birthed a

My cat Bella has had her first pregnancy; she as birthed a kitten at about 8.30 pm, and has spent the rest of the time letting the kitten feed off her and cuddle her, sleep and purr- and has not been straining to push outt anymore or even been uncomfortable - am wondering what to do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your kitten. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?
Customer: No

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara, with over 20yrs of veterinary experience. Please give me time to review & type a full response. I can't take phone calls.

I understand how concerned you must be for Bella as this is her first pregnancy and it would be very unusual to only have 1 kitten.

You truly cannot tell for sure whether she has more kittens or not without taking a radiograph. Kittens can hide up along the spine or behind abdominal organs and make themselves difficult to palpate. Sometimes a stool filled colon will feel like a kitten as well. I will say it would be extremely uncommon to only have one kitten, especially in a young, healthy cat, but it is possible.

Stage I labor usually lasts 6 to 12 hours, but can last as long as 24 hours. Cats will pant, pace, and be unable to relax or eat normally, even sometimes vomiting. But they are not actively pushing.

Once you can see active contractions, and she is pushing that is stage II labor. Once she starts pushing you should see a kitten within 20 to 30 minutes, definitely within 45 minutes time. If she is pushing with no kitten coming within an hour then she needs veterinary help. It is possible that a kitten is too large, is malpositioned or she may need calcium or hormones to stimulate her uterus.

There should be a placenta delivered after each kitten, so two placentas so far with two kittens is normal.

Some queens may take a break between kittens, sometimes a few minutes or sometimes as long as several hours if she is stressed or scared. This seems to happen more with first time queens. Rarely we can have separate breedings and so delivery dates can be a couple days apart. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. As long as she isn't actively pushing, and can lay down, nurse her kitten, and relax or eat, then this is fine and normal. In general most kittens in the litter are delivered within 8 hours.

But if she is actively pushing or starts actively pushing today and no more kittens follow then she probably needs an examination tonight.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you so much for your quick response - so, I am to leave Bella to sleep and nurse her kitten whilst she ia happy and settled, but keep close eye overnight; when she starts pushing or straining then I need to be timing and making sure the kitten is born within 45 minutes max

Exactly right!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you so much

Glad to help!