Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My cat vomits often and most of the time at night. No. I

My cat vomits often and most of the time at night.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. I have been feeding her Whiskers Pouches as recommended by the Cats Protection when I got her in February. I have tried the poultry and fish but it doesn't seem to matter which type. At the moment I am trying not to feed her after about six but she often leaves a bit and then has it later.
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: Minxie and I was told she is 13.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Minxie?
Customer: She seems very contented and looks healthy but she just throws up at night. I have had to shut her in the kitchen at night to make it easier to clean up - twice she has been sick in her litter tray! She had been checked out and had injections and teeth done just before I got her.

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK based vet.

I have some questions to help me advise you about Minxie.

Is Minxie long or short haired?

What does her vomit generally look like? (food, hair ball, liquid etc)?

Has she any other signs of issue at all (diarrhoea?)

How often does this happen?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Minxie is short haired. Her vomit looks like food with some liquid and she has no other issues to my knowledge
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
She will be okay for a few days then we will have sick during the night for about three nights in a row then a few days will elapse before she is sick again.

Ok, there are a few reasons that can cause such frequent vomiting, from hairballs or it could be chronic gastritis (ongoing tummy inflammation) or more serious illness. Have you spoken with Cats Protection to find out if she's had this issue before adoption?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
No - but I'm wondering if that is why the previous owners got rid of her after 13 years
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thinking about it I did contact Cats Protection just after I got her about something (could have been her being sick) and they were not very helpful.

It would be strange, but not unheard of that people may surrender a cat that has developed problems.

The best thing to do would be to book an appointment for a check-up with your vet for her to have a complete examination and a good feel of her tummy to make sure everything is in order (no swellings/masses inside, obstructions). Your vet may also take a blood sample to rule out some medical diseases that could cause this chronic vomiting (diabetes, kidney problems, hyperthyroidism, chronic pancreatitis or inflammatory bowel disease).

You could also try giving her some katalax paste to help with hairballs. As she's a short-haired cat this is unlikely to be the cause but it wouldn't be a bad idea to rule them out.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Okay - thank you and will make an appointment.

You're welcome. Have a good day.