Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

My 5year old german shepherd has had a bad stomach for a

My 5year old german shepherd has had a bad stomach for a week now, although she is 100% in herself. she has gone from diarrhoea to constipation, although it is still very mushy but tiny amounts. We swim most days in the river which she loves, but is quite dirty. I kept her out of the water for a week to no avail. What do you think? I haven't changed her food at all.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the Shepherd. What is the Shepherd's name?
Customer: Lani
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lani?
Customer: She is an anxious dog. I have only had her a few months but she settled in marvellously and seems happy having lots of walks and swims and being with me all day. She always seems worried when I have visitors to stay though.

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK based vet.

Poor Lani, I'm glad she's happy in herself though.

Is she still eating well?

Has there been any blood/strange color to her poop this week?

Is she prone to tummy upsets?

Has she had a worm/parasite treatment in the past 3 months?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
She has a good appetite. No blood or discolouring, not prone to tummy upsets. I wormed her on the 5th June.

It may be that she picked up a parasite swimming (eg giardia) or has had a bacterial imbalance. As she is happy and bright in herself you could offer her bland food for 3-4 days (boiled chicken and rice or scrambled egg without milk and sweet potato) and also start her on a probiotic (Protexin Prokolin is a good product given twice per day for 3 days, you can get this from your vet). If there's no significant improvement/resolution then she should be seen by your vet at that point to test for giardia or other parasites that aren't typically treated by routine parasite medications that we use.