Edele Grey
Edele Grey, Veterinarian
Experience:  BSc, MVB
108243009

I would like some dietary advice for kittens around 5-6

Hi, I would like some dietary advice for kittens around 5-6 weeks old please
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the kitten?
Customer: The poop is almost runny (not always, about 40% of the time) and was a greyish colour but is now slightly browner. I'm not sure i'm feeding it correctly
JA: The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Mylo
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mylo?
Customer: I don't think so - he's not using the litter tray yet though

You're through to Dr. Edele, a UK based vet.

Poor Mylo! I have some questions to help me best advise you.

When did the diarrhoea start for Mylo?

Is Mylo still with his mum?

How is Mylo behaving in himself?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Unfortunately the person who sold him (and his sister) to us lied about his age, so he isn't with his mum. We got him on Saturday. The diarrhoea started on Sunday morning, but just a little bit (50p size) with some other poop which wasn't runny. Yesterday it wasn't runny but just very soft and grey. Then today it was soft with another bit of diarrhoea (about a tablespoon). Since then he pooped twice and it was just soft and slightly browner.
He is bright and playful when awake, jumping around with his sister and eating ok. Although they don't seem to eat very much. He is slightly more timid than his sister but his confidence has grown massively since saturday.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sorry i can't afford to call

That's no problem. The website sends these requests automatically and unfortunately, I can't control it. Please ignore these requests.

What are you feeding him?

Is his sister affected?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ahh ok, thanks. We were told they were both eating whiskas kitten wet food, so that's what we started with. Then on sunday i fed him some whiskas cat milk after realising that they are much younger. (She didn't have the milk). I also put down some whiskas dry kitten food which he had but she didn't. His sister (Mivvi) seems better - her poop is brown but ever so slightly greenish, a bit soft too.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I've been putting out wet food the whole time as well
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
They both eat the wet food

Ok, at their age they are naturally being weaned from mum, so mixing the food like you are is perfect. Some of the upset may be related to diet change. As they're both happy and playful in-between times it's unlikely to be illness. If would also be a good idea to worm both of them (panacur is a good product that you can get from your vets) as parasites are common in young kittens and can cause the signs you're describing.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
We have been told they've been wormed but have a vets appointment on Thursday for a health check. I was just worried i was making them sick! How much should they be eating? They only eat about 1.5 wet pouches a day between them! As well as about 20g of dry food.
So i should be giving them some of the cat milk too?

That's loads for them which's really good, they have excellent appetites. Cat milk isn't essential for them at this point but you can feel free to keep offering them a little.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok that's fantastic. Thank you so much! I feel much more reassured now :)

At your health check, your vet will likely worm the kittens again for you. Luckily worming products for kittens are safe and Panacur (fenbendazole) can be administered every 2 weeks until they're 12 weeks of age. If they start to become dull or anything before then, you can try to bring your appointment forward but from what you've described, it's unlikely to be related to an infection.

You're welcome! :)

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Brilliant, thank you!

Have a good day :)