Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have a question about my male Syrian hamster, He has

I have a question about my male Syrian hamster
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Syrian hamster?
Customer: He has swelling around his rear leg
JA: What is the Syrian hamster's name and age?
Customer: ralph and he is 1 year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ralph?
Customer: His behaviour is normal, he is eating a drinking climbing and exercising
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Further information on this is that the vetenerian I just took Ralph to said that it is a tumour and he needs to be put down. I was shocked, as I have looked up pictures of hamster tumours and it doesn’t look like one to me
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The vet I took him to is not a small animal vet, so I did not want to make any decision without a second opinion
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (TLVG67T)
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
That is a picture of the swelling - Ralph is a very active climber and has a large cage with bars, my thought would be they would say it was broken and swollen and give him some antibiotics

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Thanks for the photo. I'm afraid to say that your vet is most likely right and that the swelling is most likely a tumour. A fracture or dislocation of the leg would not produce swelling to this degree or location.

The only other possible differential is an abscess, although I feel this is unlikely. A needle aspirate of the mass could confirm either way.

If it is indeed a tumour then it will continue to grow and when it starts to interfere with his quality of life, then euthanasia should be considered sadly.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you Dr Chris, I will monitor Ralph’s health.Would you consider that immediate euthanasia would be premature, and that given his normal behaviour I should give some time for this?I have a photograph of Ralph from one month ago which I will attach, where the swelling is not present. I also attach a photograph of Ralph legs where the vet isn’t squeezing as hard

I think if his mobility is not impaired then euthanasia is not necessary immediately, but is likely to become so in the near future sadly

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (Z672134)
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
File attached (5PMQ3P7)

OK I can call now

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ready when you are

Calling now