Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My, cat got into a fight on Friday. He had a scratch just

My
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: cat got into a fight on Friday. He had a scratch just above his left eye and it was weeping but it cleared up. This morning I noticed he smelt and he has been very lethargic laying about. I went to pick him up and he growled at me and bit me. He never bites us or hisses at us. I realised the smell is coming from his left ear and there is bits of dry blood. It absolutely stinks. What should I do?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is 7 years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blue?
Customer: Yes his ear absolutely stinks

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to ear this. It sounds most likely that an infection is brewing from the initial injury. Cat fight wounds do tend to become infected usually 3-4 days post injury.

A visit to the vets as soon as practically possible will be needed as antibiotics are commonly required for this type of issue.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you so much. We do have antibiotics at home from our last vet visit and we didn’t finish the course. Should I give him one of them tonight? I can send a photo?

If you have a prescribed antibiotic then yes you could start tonight pending a Vet visit tomorrow.

It is very important to always complete the course of antibiotics prescribed.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok I have noroclav 50mg tablets

OK that's fine, you can give one twice daily until you can get home to the vet.

Him*

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks so much for your help

You're most welcome