Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My German shepherd has eaten 3 cooked chicken legs. Bane,

My German shepherd has eaten 3 cooked chicken legs.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your German shepherd will be able to digest that. What is your German shepherd's name and age?
Customer: Bane, approx 20 months
JA: What is the German shepherd's name?
Customer: Bane
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bane?
Customer: no

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today.

But first, please allow me ten minutes or so to think things over and then type up your answer.

Hello again,

Hopefully, Bane will get away with this, the fact he is a large breed dog is very much in your favour, however, I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ...

1. The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, monitor Bane and see what happens. In my experience, most larger dogs will get away with this, but this is all you can now do at present as it is not recommended to make dogs sick to recover solid sharp objects like the chicken bones as this could cause damage to the throat on the way back up. That said if this has happened in the last hour then feeding your dog some slices of bread or some mashed potato is a good idea, you see the potato or bread may form around any sharp bone fragments and so help protect your dog's alimentary tract as the fragments pass along.

2. When you think about it wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers. In most cases, wild dogs will get away with and the same applies to domestic dogs, especially large breeds like German Shepherds.

Also for your dog to swallow this chicken bone whole Bane would have to crunch it into smaller pieces and normally they should pass OK. Also, some digestion and softening of chicken bones are possible in your dog's stomach and this will greatly help as well.

3. However, there are no guarantees and occasionally in the past at my clinic, I have seen problems. You would be therefor wise to monitor Bane for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course, consult your vet without delay if you do see such symptoms. This would be unlikely though ...

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

This is just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott