Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog is very clingy and shivering no vomiting or the runs,

My dog is very clingy and shivering no vomiting or the runs
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Amie age 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Amie?
Customer: No

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.

I'm sorry to hear this.

How long has Arnie been unwell?

What breed is he and does he have any medical history I should now about or is he on any medicine?

Any other symptoms e.g. panting, pale gums, bloated abdomen, reduced appetite or lethargy?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi her name is ***** ***** is a lasa apso . She hasn't eaten today it has just been today . No bloating she is not lethargy no other symptoms

Thank you for this.

Has she been spayed?

If not, do you know when her last season was?

Any chance she has eaten something she shouldn't or been given some rich human food?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
she is spayed and she has not eaten anything I am aware of plus no human food

Great, thank you.

And until today she has been completely normal?

Have you tried offering some extra tasty food such as warm chicken or fish?

Are her gums still pink and wet?

Finally, is her breathing settled and at a rate of 30 breaths/minute or less?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
until today she has been grand yes her gums are still pink and wet and her breathing seems normal . I will try a small piece of chicken now
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I just gave her a small piece of cheese she was up like a shot and ate it no problem

Bless her, that's a good sign!

Her symptoms of being clingy/shivering are not specific and could have many causes including a stomach ache, anxiety, infection etc. It is difficult to know for sure without examining her as there are a number of potential causes.

It is reassuring that she has been well until now and accepted the cheese. Similarly, it is good she has no other symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhoea.

I would be happy to monitor her for now. Ensure she is comfortable and not too hot or cold. Offer some bland but tasty food such as a small bowl of chicken and rice (cheese may be a bit too rich!) and encourage her to drink.

Hopefully she is better after a good night's sleep but, if not, we would want her checked.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I have no chicken at the min I will get some tho . Hopefully after a nights sleep she will be ok .
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
If she is no better in the morning I will take her to the vet

That's great. You are very welcome to keep me updated if you have any questions before then.

Alternatives to chicken would include turkey white fish, cottage cheese or scrambled eggs as all are easily digestible and should be tempting when warmed up.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I will make her some scrambled eggs she loves them

Perfect! Avoid any oil (or butter) in the pan as this could upset a sensitive stomach, so plain egg is best.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok no problem I am putting it on now

Great.

If you were happy with the service today, please don't forget to rate the answer by selecting the stars at the top of the screen. Even after rating, we can continue the conversation. All the best!