Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dogs 11 he broke a nail that dug into his skin and

My dogs 11 he broke a nail that dug into his skin and wouldnt leave alone he eats normal but lost bodyweight I send regular pics to pdsa hes had antibiotics n anti inflammatory hes put abit of weight back n the footsie terrible n I feel summat not right but due to virus I'm just offered tablets I dont want him to suffer if his times up
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Ty hes 11 in aug
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ty
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Hes been well built n healthy throughout his 11yrs till now
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I cn send images
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Ty...3mths ago
Hi there,you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with Ty. He is a beautiful boy and obviously much loved. 11 is a very good age for such a big dog and, sadly, we can often see dogs become unwell in their senior years.
He is under weight and has reduced muscling, meaning his bones are now very visible. This is never normal, even in an older boy, and does warrant investigation.
As he has a normal appetite, issues such as dental disease and diabetes would be less likely. Potential causes could include liver disease, kidney disease, cancers etc.
The first step would be a physical exam and we would usually also run a basic blood test to hopefully point us in the right direction.
I would feed him a calorific diet such as Hills A/D or any senior food with high quality protein and ensure he is up to date with a good quality wormer such as Panacur.
If he has lost lost muscle from his back and hips and is slow when moving to stiff, I would also want him checked for arthritis as he may benefit from some pain releif.
If the PDSA wont see him face to face even if you explain that he is unwell and losing weight, it would be best to see another vet as he does need to be seen ASAP. The PDSA should still be seeing unwell patients despite lockdown.
Does this sound ok?
Did you have any further questions?
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
thank you very much