Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My cat is acting a bit odd, and I'm not sure if she's having

My cat is acting a bit odd, and I'm not sure if she's having more serious issues or if she's just got a really big hairball she cant get out (shes quite fluffy). Any chance I can go through the symptoms with someone and get an opinion?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?
Customer: She's eaten ok, but the last couple of days she's been making odd noises when you stole her belly (sounds like a pigeon cooing rather than her normal purr). She's been a bit more lethargic over the last couple days and has intermittently been dry heaving as though she's trying to cough something up but nothing comes out She also had a bit of a weepy eye yesterday but that seems to have gone away a bit now
JA: The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Freya
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Freya?
Customer: I don't think so other than the above :) Thanks, ***** ***** this

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Just a few further questions in order to give you the correct advice, how old is shew? Is she eating and drinking normally? Does she go outdoors?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thabks Chris! She's about 2, she's an indoor cat and she ate fine this morning but not sure about drinking because haven't seen her drink today (but I've been around the house so she might have when I've not looked)
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'm ok without the phone call but might've tapped the button by mistake ��
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hope that doesn't pull me out of chat haha

It sounds as though she may have a upper respiratory tract infection (laryngitis/pharyngitis), this would account for the change in her purr and the retching symptoms. It is likely viral in nature and will self resolve, your vet may be able to prescribe an anti inflammatory for her to help ease the symptoms and reduce any fever she may be experiencing, so it would be worth getting her checked over.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
That's brilliant - thanks for your advice! I'll get her checked out if it doesn't subside in a couple of days. Unless you think she needs emergency trip?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Also if its viral will that spread to my other cat?

If she is still eating, drinking and bright in herself then it can most likely wait until Monday.

It may do yes, do keep any eye on your other cat for similar symptoms.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Wonderful - thanks so much! Saved me £140 on emergency out of hours vet just to be told she might have something completely normal haha

You're welcome. Hope she is on the mend soon!