Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Our elderly spaniel - 14 - was spooked this morning. He can

Our elderly spaniel - 14 - was spooked this morning. He can normally hardly walk yet he ran along a main road for more than 5 mins and got lost in a garden. I found him rasping and distressed, caught up in brambles etc. He has now calmed down and is sleeping (5 hours later) but I’m worried he can’t stand up. Has he pulled muscles in his back legs or just stiff or is this the end? Should we wait 24 hours and see how he is tomorrow?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the spaniel?
Customer: He has arthritis in front legs and n his spine, I think. The exercise was excessive!

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Poor thing, sorry to hear this! Is he currently on any medication for his arthritis?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Gabapentin and tramadol.

OK. It sounds like he is having an acute flare up of his arthritis caused by the excessive running. This may settle to some degree over the next 24hrs, but I would be concerned if he cannot stand at all.

I would suggest getting him checked over by your vet this evening if at all possible, as additional pain relief may be able to be provided. For example a non steroidal anti inflammatory (so long as there is no contra indication for this).

I hope that help? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks very much.

You're welcome