Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My gerbil has been acting strange today. Not eating much not

Hi, my gerbil has been acting strange today. Not eating much not drinking much and was cold. We set up a hot water bottle in her cage and have been giving her attention whenever she isn't napping in the warmth. Her urine seems perfectly healthy but she hasn't pooped. She has also had spurs of high energy probably thanks to the naps and heat. I would just appreciate any insight into her condition to see if anything is treatable.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help your gerbil. What is your gerbil's name and age?
Customer: Pepper and she is 3 years and 4 months.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pepper?
Customer: She lost her partner back in december but my and my family's attention to her has helped deal with loneliness. Apart from that she has a perfect medical record she was even perfectly fine yesterday night.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Another recent turn of events she has started to nibble on cardboard again so she is getting some playful energy back into her.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Last update for tonight, we gave her some honey water and she's been jumping a bit more but she still isn't eating/pooping.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
also she's chattering her teeth a lot

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear this. The chatting of the teeth does suggest some form of pain or discomfort, one of the most common causes for this in gerbils would be dental disease so that is one thing I would certainly recommend is looked into. The fact that she is not eating or poong is certainly concerning and they can go downhill fast. I would suggest getting her seen by your vet tomorrow if possible to a full examination, she can be prescribed pain relief and special food to syringe her with until more definitive investigation and treatment is possible.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply I got notified by text that you did. We were planning to go to the vet tomorrow 100% anyway this was just a way to get some possible insight and idea to get the thought of euthanasia off my head. I'm glad it's looking like something treatable and we'll stop at nothing to ensure Pepper's comfort :) thank you so much once again, i know it's late here in the UK

You're welcome. I hope that she can be helped. Best wishes.