Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Think my dog have a cold, Morty and he is 1 year old

Customer Question

Think my dog have a cold
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Morty and he is 1 year old tomorrow
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Morty?
Customer: He is a French Bulldog and he is more snotty than usual and not drinking enough
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 5 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
Dogs don't really get colds like us so I would be concerned Morty may have a bacterial infection of the upper respiratory tract, especially as he is not himself.
Signs can include coughing, sneezing and mucus snot.
If the snot is green or brown or if he has a fever, he likely needs a course of antibiotics so should be seen by a vet.
At home, we can help by keeping him well hydrated with wet food and plenty of water. For example, you can offer warm chicken mixed with water to make a broth.
You can also allow him in the bathroom when someone has a steamy shower or bath to help dislodge the mucus.
Allow him to rest and recover. He may need more sleep and should not be brought out to exercise, just to do his business.
Short nosed breeds are more prone to breathing issues and are less able to cope with infections so it is always something that should be taken seriously.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for the answer!
Very happy to help. Please feel free to ask any further questions you may have.
If you wete satisfied with the response, don't forget to rate the answer by selecting the stars at the top of the screen.
Have a lovely weekend.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Well he is definetly more snotty than usual, less active( but not badly ) and his eye more teary. What is worrying me more is that overnight he is not sleeping well as he have this weirs noise like he trying to clear his throat like something stuck, and its keep him awake.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I know this breed have a lot breathing issue, but few nights now we have this overnight, and im just worry about him. As its only happens when he is sleeping and when I hear i woke up and try to massage his neck and that usually helps for a short time
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Feels like he is struggling to breath when its happens but after he go back to sleep and like nothing happened until its starts again
I agree that this is a concern and it would make me want to examine him for Brachycephalic Upper Airway Syndrome (BUAS). It is worth determining this as he may benefit from surgical correction, especially at this age.
Certainly, these dogs can develop infections more commonly.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you very much! When we should take him to the vet for examination?
While it doesn't sounds like an emergency (assuming his breathing rate is less than 30 breaths a minute, he does not appear distressed and his gums are pink), this is the kind of thing that I would try and get looked in to as soon as you can.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
We are booking to the vets,thank you for the help!
Brilliant. If you need further advice after, please just let me know.