Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My cat has a transitional cell carsinover tumour on her

Customer Question

My cat has a transitional cell carsinover tumour on her bladder and due to the area, its growth cannot be operated on. My vet is a ripoff and i need to obtain a prescription so i can purchase her medication online to see her through until the time comes to let her go. She is currently taking metacam
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your cat's name and age?
Customer: porsha 14.3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Porsha?
Customer: terminal bladder cancer
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 13 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 13 days ago.

I'm sorry to hear this. Unfortunately UK law prevents online prescribing of veterinary medicines. Your vet should be able to provide you with such a prescription if you ask them? They are not allowed to unreasonably deny a request for a written prescription.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you... as i thought. the law in the UK is so bad and allows vets to rip off distressed owners. I will ask mine on Monday but i have read that most will charge a high cost just to write one....
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Eager to know what the max dose of this drug is.... currently she is on 3.4ml as her weight is is 3.4kg but i want to ensure she is having max meds for what little time she has left.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
currently, the most anxious symptoms are regular attempt to pee. what would you be recommending or prescribing to ease the systems?
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 13 days ago.

Usually most vets will charge £10-£15 for a written prescription, unfortunately online pharmacies often can sell the drugs for less than what the vets can even buy them for, it is not so much your vet wanting to rip you off. Just economies of scale unfortunately.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 13 days ago.

A 3.4kg dose (the syringe should be calibrated in kg, not ml) would be the maximum dose she can have of metacam. Often cats with this condition suffer from concurrent secondary urinary tract infection, has she had a urine culture performed recently?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Syringe is kg sorry. Booked in for Monday scan, biopsy and urine test
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 13 days ago.

OK great. Sounds like you should be able to obtain a definitive diagnosis and also see if there is concurrent infection, in which case antibiotic will also be beneficial.

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
That’s all thank you
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 13 days ago.

You're welcome