Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My cats front foreleg is quite swollen and he is limping

good evening, my cats front foreleg is quite swollen and he is limping badly. he is reluctant to either put it to the ground or weight bear with it
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: no

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with your cat. If he associates with other cats, bite wound cellulitis (inflammation of the tissue) or abscess is an important differential. These cats need the attention of their vet at your earliest convenience. If an antibiotic is on board within 48 hours of the bite, surgical intervention might be avoided. Does he go outside? Does he live with other cats?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.

Thank you. Do your best to have him attended to by his vet. If this abscesses, surgical intervention (lancing, flushing with an antimicrobial solution, debriding/removal of devitalized tissue) is stressful for him and your pocketbook. Please continue in this conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He seems to be in pain and very jumpy at noise. is there anything I can do for pain relief?

The only safe over the counter analgesic for cats is aspirin dosed at 11 mg per kg of bodyweight at 48 hour intervals. You must avoid the toxic paracetamol/acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen in cats.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I noticed this swelling today and due to cover no vets are open tomorrow. is Monday habit late?

Earlier is better, Monday may suffice.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience - even after rating.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
just to let you know I took my cat to be seen by a vet and it seems a bite wound now has an abscess. antibiotics have been started along with anti-inflammatory and pain meds so thank you for the advice.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.