Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Bloodshot eyes, I have a cat, her eyes are bloodshot and

Customer Question

Bloodshot eyes
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: I have a cat
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?
Customer: her eyes are bloodshot and parts are white looking as if she’s going blind
JA: Where does the cat seem to hurt?
Customer: she Doesn’t seem to be in pain
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: lucy, she is 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?
Customer: the problem wasn’t there a few hours previously, she is an outdoor cat
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 5 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda
I'm sorry to hear Lucy has this issue.
Does she have any other symptoms such as pale gums, red specks on her gums, a bloated abdomen, a limp or fast breathing?
Is she currently on any medicine?
Any exposure to a toxin such as rat bait or lawn feed (I appreciate she goes outside so this may be hard to know)?
Would you be able to send a photo of the eyes?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Her gums are dark
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No fast breathing or swollen abdomen
When you say dark do you mean dark pink?
Or perhaps they have a natural black pigment?
You are welcome to send a photo of them if unsure.Please ignore any phone call requests as the website sends these automatically.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I think natural dark pigment
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I am sending pictures of her eyes
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
File attached (QV5QQPZ)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I noticed this last night with her eyes, she had been out but I had seen her a few hours previously and hadn’t noticed any issues, I’m wondering if she has been hit by a car or something
Thank you for such clear photos, thats great.
I agree that this is a concern as they are very bloodshot.
As it came on suddenly, an infection is less likely and I would be cocnerned about possible trauma (certainly, a car accident is possible) high blood pressure or toxin ingestion which has lead to internal bleeding.
I would recommend a vet visit right away so her eyes can be assessed and her blood pressure checked. They may also wish to run a bloodiest to assess her platelet levels and clotting times.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I will get her to the vet, thank you for your help
No worries at all and please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thats OK and hopefully it is nothing too serious
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Just an update on lucy, the vet thinks it was an infection, she was given an antibiotic injection and antibiotic eye drops, thank you for your help
Expert:  Linda Simon replied 3 days ago.

That's great news, I'm glad it is nothing more serious and hopefully her eyes are much better very shortly. Thanks so much for the update.

Expert:  Linda Simon replied 1 day ago.

Hi there, I do hope Lucy is continuing to improve.

if you don't mind, could I ask that you rate the answer by selecting the stars at the top f the screen? A 5 star review is always appreciated. Thank you!