Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

We have a 4 week old kitten who seems to be struggling to go

Hi, we have a 4 week old kitten who seems to be struggling to go for a poop. He hasn't been for nearly 48 hours. I'm worried he may have a piece of cat litter making it difficult for him to pass his stools. He's breathing quite fast and vomited a small amount yesterday
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?
Customer: He keeps eating bits of cat litter which I'm worried might be blocking him up inside but I try and stop him doing this

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear this. Has he been pooing OK prior to this? Also have you tried running some warm, damp cotton wool around his back passage to try and stimulate defecation?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We have tried this, he squirms and kicks when we touch around his bottom hole. We keep trying this but not having much luck
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We got him a few days ago and he was infested with fleas, this has pretty much been resolved now, his gums are white from the blood loss

Oh dear, he doesn't sound well at all. If he was taken fro his mum that early, he may well not have learned how to defected properly. I would also worry that he could have a congenital abnormality of his anus which would be another consideration. I think the best course of action here would be to get him to a vet ASAP to have him checked over. Hopefully he is just constipated and a laxitive medication will help, but more serious possibilities need to be ruled out. I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, the vet isn't open today so I will have to take him tomorrow, and keep trying to help him in the meantime

OK. Please feel free to keep me updated