Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a kitten with a pink /cloudy eye. She’s had week of

Hi, I have a kitten with a pink /cloudy eye. She’s had week of chlorophenicol, and the eye still looks bad
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the kitten?
Customer: She had conjunctivitis, but the one eye is white and cloudy
JA: Where does the kitten seem to hurt?
Customer: her eye
JA: OK. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Bobby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bobby?
Customer: She is 8 weeks old. Smallest of her litter. Other than the eye she is lovely, eating well and sleeps loads
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear this.
Does she rub or scratch at it?
Would you be able to send a clear photo of the eye?
Has it been examined by a vet and did they stain it for an ulcer?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi there, it doesn’t seem to bother her. She was seen in an online consultation by the PDSA
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (2QPM1TZ)
Bless her, she is adorable.
Unfortunately the eye is not looking in a good state and I would be concerned she may have something called a 'melting ulcer' which is typically caused by a bacterial infection. There is a risk here that she could lose her vision and her eye so we need to act fast.
I would have her re-seen today and ask for an in person consultation. Her eye needs to be stained to check for an ulcer and, if present, we need to treat it aggressively.
This may mean serum drops, further antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. Sometimes, a surgery is required.
It may also be sensible to use a small buster collar to protect the eye.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I will try and phone a local vet now and see if I can get in urgently. Thank you
Not at all and best of luck. Kittens do have a tremendous capacity to heal so fingers crossed she improves quickly.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help. She had an emergency appointment yesterday morning, has an antibiotic eye drop, a healing ointment and an oral anti inflammatory. It’s early days yet but even today her eye looks better, although I am concerned that the buster collar doesn’t fit and watch her like a hawk, though thankfully it doesn’t seem to be bothering her. I appreciate the help.
That's fantastic news, thank you so much for keeping me updated.
You may find if you have a plastic collar that a soft, fabric one would be best. These can be purchased from Amazon Prime or pet stores such as Pets at Home.

Good evening, I hope Bobby is getting along well.

If you don't mind, could I ask that you rate the answer by selecting the stars at the top f the screen? A 5 star review is always appreciated. Thank you!