Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dig is registered with one of your clinics he has a shin

good afternoon my dig is registered with one of your clinics he has a shin irritation which is making him scratch and lose his coat he has been treated last summer for this and need a prescription but unable to get appointment advice help needed
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: gog king charles
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes a dog
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: not coughing scratching his fur out skin irritation
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he has it occurring every year about this time
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
Just to confirm, this is an online advice service rather than a vet clinic.
Certainly, with a skin condition leading to fur loss it is best to be examined.
As he had it this time last year, we would wonder if he has a seasonal allergy to e.g. grass or pollen.
Another consideration would be a reaction to parasites e.g. fleas so it would be sensible to ensure he is up to date with a good quality external parasite prevention such as Advocate spot on.
Do you know which medicine he had previously? If it was an anti itch medicine such as apoquel or prednisone , this makes an allergy more likely.
For some, alongside the fur loss they may have red or musky smelling skin and this can be due to a secondary yeast or bacteria overgrowth so it can be useful to bathe them in a medicated wash such as Malaseb or even a hypoallergenic shampoo .
If unable to book in to your nearest clinic, it would be wise to contact another as skin conditions can be very uncomfortable and are easier to treat the less established they are.
Is this all ok?