Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

Kara desperate need of some help my guinea pig is haveing an

Hi Dr. Kara My name is ***** ***** am I desperate need of some help my guinea pig is haveing an eye problem I don’t know what is going on I came home one day and her eye was really puffy and discolored I’m am really concerned because because I don’t eat her to have to have her eye removed I call my local pet hospital they told me that it was an infection and to keep it clean at all times until her appointment
JA: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your guinea pig can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your guinea pig?
Customer: She was adopted I’ve had her for about 2 years nothing like this has occurred before she’s never been sick or anything like that my mom changed her bedding to this lavender smelling an that what we thought it was at first we thought it was an allergic Reaction so I’m just really worried and scared for her please help me get through this
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
These are the pictures from when i first day it
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
These are from today

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear of this problem with your Guinea Pig. Thanks for the photos - it looks like she may have a corneal ulcer (damage to the surface of the eye) with bacterial infection as well. This could have been caused by trauma such as bedding getting in her eye. She needs to be seen by your vet as soon as possible, the eye needs to be checked for an ulcer using a special stain and also we need to checked that there is no foreign material (such as hay) under the eyelids. She will need a antibiotic eye drop and most likely some pain relief as well. Hopefully with prompt treatment the eye will make a full recovery.

I hope that answers your question? Please let me know if you need any further help or advice. Thank you for using Just Answer. Best wishes.