Linda Simon
Linda Simon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My Saint Bernard has a dry scab running across his back

Hi my Saint Bernard has a dry scab running across his back approx from shoulder to shoulder. However the middle section is very moist. He hasn’t been involved in any incidents that could cause this. He does however enjoy rolling around, rubbing in bushes. Going in any manky water he can.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your Saint Bernard's name and age?
Customer: Geoff and he is 5
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Geoff?
Customer: No he’s been very healthy throughout his life
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear this.
Would you be able to send a photo?
Has he ever had skin issues before?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He occasionally gets hot spots and he gets various scabs and cuts from time to time...which is why I wasn’t too concerned. It’s just as it has gone moist that I am worried. It doesn’t seem to be bothering him and he lets you mess with it. I’ll upload a pic
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
File attached (56M7SV7)
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’ve cut the fur back to allow air to circulate and I’m spraying with aloe Vera vet spray
Thank you for this clear picture.
I was wondering if he was prone to hot spots (acute moist dermatitis) as they are common in the breed and can be scabby, red, oozing and either dry or moist.
I would suspect this is another hot spot and there is a bacterial infection.
Typically we like to treat these by clipping the fur, cleaning the area twice daily with dilute chlorhexidine and either applying an antibiotic cream or giving oral antibiotics.
Other considerations would include a local foreign body (such as a fox tail or wood splint) that has lodged or a fungal infection, but these are less likely.
Given the location; have you recently applied a spot on? Just a thought as some dogs may react to them in this manner (though this would be uncommon).
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have hibiscrub is that the same stuff
We dilute it 1:10 with water so it is a light pink colour. Scrub it on the area and let it lather for a good 5 minutes then rinse well.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I only treat with spot on once or twice yearly. So he hasn’t had anything. Ike that
Ok, sure. We don't always determine the primary cause of a hot spot and we do know that St Bernard's get them more than others. This time of year, even an insect bite could trigger one.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Perfect thanks for your advice. I’m a dog trainer so have quite good dog knowledge and don’t tend to run to the vets. It was just slightly concerning due to its size. I will try what you have said. ����
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I also thought giant hogweed....but things struggle to get through that dense coat of his.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Many thanks. I will go and rate you now
No problem at all and all the best :)